Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Great State Fair of Texas!


Earlier today we ventured to the State Fair... it is a tradition for my family.  I don't remember how long we have been going, but I don't recall too many years where I haven't been!  I have always enjoyed going even though I inevitably get cranky with the crowds and all the walking.  It is an even greater challenge with strollers!  But still, it is a truly unique event and I think it is fortunate that this kind of thing happens every year and that it is easily within driving distance to enjoy.  It is great living just outside of Dallas... there is always something fun you can do!  This year for some reason as we were walking through the grounds to the automotive buildings I took more notice to the buildings, paintings, and sculptures.  I was wondering what the history was and why so many buildings were designed to look so architectural.  While walking I snapped just a couple of pictures and noted that I would need to learn more later, and that I have now!  Did you know that most of the buildings on the grounds at Fair Park were erected for the Texas Centennial Exposition?


The Texas Centennial was in 1936 to celebrate Texas's independence from Mexico in 1836.  It was a 6 month long exposition that ran from June through November and cost around $25 million.  There were over 6 million visitors who came.  The timing is really interesting as this was during the Great Depression and having a celebration and exposition of this kind was huge.  The crowds it brought to Texas and all the jobs it created were said to have helped Dallas greatly during the time.  So wouldn't it have been cool to know that before I went?!   I really think I will try to go walk the grounds this Spring and do some of the self guided walking tours so I can enjoy the Art Deco that is evidently world renowned.  You can read some more interesting things with these links:

http://www.dallasparks.org/Fairparknews/Fall2006/FPStory3.html-   I really love this story... I would love to get to talk to someone who went to the Exposition as a child.  I bet it was really something!

http://dieselpunk44.blogspot.com/2011/10/diesel-era-history-1936-texas.html-  This is a blog that had some interesting information on the Art Deco and paintings on the grounds.

Here are a couple of pictures I happened to take of the art there now:



We all thoroughly enjoyed the fair... we did the really "important" things:  saw Big Tex, perused the Auto Show, and we ate a Fletcher's corn dog.  Those are the things that must happen every visit. :) Emerson and Cameron were both troopers even though it was unusually cold... the high today was somewhere in the mid fifties.  They were bundled up and cozy most of the time... we were all bundled up!

Here we are walking through one of the buildings all asking "Where are Mom and Dad?"  This happened a few times.  :)

If you posted a pic of this on Facebook you got a free pair of sunglasses.  I did it... how could I resist?  But then I deleted the picture.  Ha... sneaky one I am.  

There is Big Tex!  It was good to see my old friend.

We waiting in a fairly long line, but I was not disappointed!

There the lady is dipping them in the cornbread mixture.  Looks easy... but this cannot be replicated at home and have the same effect.  Not that I have tried... but I am confident it wouldn't work!  :)

It was delicious... and yes, I got the mustard despite my horrid memory of the nasty lady "double dipping" a couple of years ago.  

This silly goose had a good time.

We were not going to wait in the ridiculously long line for the petting zoo so she only got to meet Elsie.  I will make this up to her by finding some kind of petting zoo nearby!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment