Saturday, May 30, 2015

Small Paul #3!

We have big and exciting news... we are expecting Small Paul #3 this October!



First Trimester- Here we go!

I learned I was pregnant super early, as has always been the case because I just can't imagine waiting to test until after missing your period.  Who can wait THAT long???  We were thankful that it happened so quickly following our loss in December.  I cried upon seeing the test turn positive and in that moment felt both tremendous happiness but also the instant fear of whether or not this would go differently.  I, of course, tried to be calm about it all and tried to maintain a level head realizing that it was so early and that an early loss was very possible.  My doctor got me in quickly for blood work so we could monitor the HCG counts over a period of a few days.  Those labs came back with promising counts... so far so good.  But then again, I've been there before when everything is progressing just like it should.  I had some early spotting for a couple of days that alarmed me a bit, but since it stopped the nurse said not to worry. The days between the lab appointments and when I could get in to see if there was a baby starting to grow as hoped were hard emotionally.  My thoughts were so consumed, try as I may to think of something else.  Thankfully, with every appointment, we saw that the baby was growing as expected and I began trying to tell myself to try to enjoy it and not worry.  But that is just so hard.  I had several milestones that we passed and with each your chances of successful pregnancy increase.  The first one and most significant being the presence of a fetal heart rate, which we confirmed Feb 26 at 6 weeks 5 days.  I went again at 8 weeks 3 days... my doctor knew I needed to see things after the 8 week mark, which is when our first miscarriage happened.  During this time period my nausea was in full swing... I was feeling pretty awful... all day nausea is just not fun.  I was able to take some medicine that helped a little, but made me more sleepy on top of the first trimester exhaustion.  At 10 weeks 4 days we saw the baby again, and with this milestone it felt like it was time to share the news with the kids.  That was fun as the kids both had different takes on what it meant and what they wanted.  After clarifying with the kids, we found that Cameron wanted a baby Santa and Emerson wanted a baby sister.  We told them we had to wait to find out.  And not long after 12 weeks we announced on social media that we had another blessing on the way!  This was really happening!  :)


Baby Paul at 6w5d

That beautiful sound of a heart beating... 120 bpm

8w3d

10w4d with  heart rate of 167 bpm

When we shared the news with the kids...


Heart rate of 171 bpm


Our 12 week baby moving around.  :)


2nd Trimester- It's a...


While I was still having nausea, it was getting to be a little better in the second trimester.  I was really looking forward to having more energy and feeling good until I had this terrible pain in my lower back and felt like my stomach was super achey.  Not cramping, but it just hurt.  I knew something was not right, so after a trip to the ER we found that I was having some gallbladder inflammation.  It happened again two weeks later, which led to an appointment with a surgeon and gastroenterologist.  In short, if I continued to have gallbladder problems we would need to have surgery in my second trimester, the "safest" time, to remove it.  Since that appointment I have been very careful with my diet and have avoided food that has too much richness with flavor, spices, garlic, tomatoes, etc.  This really means no pizza, no delicious pasta with marinara and garlic bread, no greasy burgers and fries...  but this is ok.  I would rather not have surgery!!  So far so good and I am now 20 weeks.  

We planned Cameron's 3rd birthday party on May 2, so while we had our families with us and friends there, I wanted to do a little surprise gender reveal.  My doctor had no problem doing a quick ultrasound himself to determine the gender.  I was careful not to look during the ultrasound and my doctor wrote down the gender information and placed it in an envelope for me.  Right after my appointment I met with Stefanie to give her the envelope and she got things together for our surprise reveal.  She is such a wonderful friend to help put this together for us.  It was so wonderful of her to help and after Cam's party I had the greatest time doing the gender reveal.  I had no idea what we were having so it was just as much a surprise to me as everyone else.  When we opened the box and I saw the pink balloons I almost cried!  I really was hoping for another little girl to spoil.  :)  Emerson is sooooo excited to have a baby sister and regularly mentions that she wants to give her sister a present or toy.  She wanted to buy her an outfit the other day when we were shopping. She is going to be the sweetest big sister.  :)

My last ultrasound was at 17 weeks for an early anatomy scan where baby girl looked great.  I go back in a couple of weeks for my next look and I can't wait!  Last Friday I felt her kicking for the first time where I was certain that's what it was and what a relief!  Since then I have felt her move many times and each time I just smile and think "Hello baby girl!!  Keep growing strong!!"  I know the days where I will really feel her strong movements aren't too far away, and for now I can't wait.  While I still worry something could happen, the rational side of me knows we should be ok now.  Anything can happen, but there is no reason I should expect anything but a healthy pregnancy and delivery.  I'm 20 weeks now and feel so happy to be halfway there.  I can't wait to meet this little girl and to hug and kiss her everywhere.  To hear her cry when she is born, those coos and the sweet baby smell.  I can't wait to see big sister Emerson hold her and big brother too.  I wonder what they will think and feel once she arrives.  

Up next for us will be preparing her nursery, which I already know what I want to do and have ordered bedding.  :)  We need to share her name with family and friends, because we aren't going to make anyone wait.  ;)  And I have a whole lot of organizing and decluttering I want to do.  This is such an exciting and wonderful time in our lives.  I'm so happy... I just can't wait to meet her!  :)

The top secret sono picture from the doctor!


Recap photos from our reveal!


Ahhh!!  It's a girl!!!  :)



19 weeks


Our silly kids... I just laugh and laugh when I watch this!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment